Fun, Engaging, Hands-on STEM Mindfulness Lesson
Free 3rd – 6th grade digital teacher lesson plan & student lesson
Inspire at-home mindfulness with a hands-on STEM project
STEM Mindfulness Lesson
Students rated their experience with this lesson as a 4.7 out of 5 for “… how much fun did you have completing this lesson?”
“I got to feel my heart and blood pulse in my wrist and it was kind of creepy and kind of cool.”
“I liked the part where we had to do some exercise”
The first lesson included in the scaffolded Make Science Fair Fun® Kits, 3-Lesson Series is a STEM Lesson with a mindfulness focus. Lesson 1 is an entry STEM project that helps teachers to bring all students to the same level of skills needed to complete the subsequent lessons. It takes a PBL approach to challenging students to develop their leadership and STEM skills and their confidence in self-guided learning about a real world phenomenon: being active and the influence on the body and behavior.
Through Lesson 1, students record observations about how they feel emotionally and physically while being active and being still, then proceed to develop and lead a project around measuring and recording their heart rates being active and still. Students are guided by voice-over teaching and instruction that students can link to.
Systematic set Worksheets
- Ask Exploratory Questions
- Make Observations
- Identify Core Ideas
- Collect Data
- Reflect on Project
- Ask Scientific Questions
- Evaluate Projects
- Feel aware of their bodies’ while both being active and being still.
- Connect the skills they develop during their projects and what scientists and engineers do in their careers.
- Identify as being scientists and engineers and know “Hey, I can do STEM!”
- Aspire to explore deeper in-class and out-of-class STEM learning as applied to their everyday lives.
- Develop leadership and STEM skills they need to tap into strong economic opportunities all around them.
- Learn “The” Scientific Method, which is just one approach to carry out a science fair project.
1-2 hours total, with minimal adult support.
The lesson can be facilitated as a Google Classroom assignment that students can submit.
Example Lesson Introduction
Take it from the Pros
“Science Fair Fun transformed the process we utilized to support students to excel in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. This resource provides a hands-on approach to teaching students to engage in meaningful personalized learning.” – Jim Havens, Principal, Kyffin Elementary School
“I had students leave the Science Fair so excited. They saw themselves as scientists for the first time. To see that spark in their eye and their desire to learn and to do something beyond themselves … was so excited for me as a teacher.” – Laurie McKibben, 5th Grade Teacher, Foothills Elementary School